16 August 2012

Kibbutz Life

Yesterday we came to Kibbutz Sde Eliyahu, our home for the next 2 years. It's a beautiful kibbutz - I haven't had a chance to take any pictures yet, but I'll get around to it. I'm all unpacked, but it doesn't really feel like home yet. We haven't really gotten to interact with the kibbutzniks so we still kind of feel like outsiders. We have, however, gotten well-acquainted with the THOUSANDS of ants that we found in the girls' house yesterday. Ah well, that's kibbutz life. I even almost got a picture of the huuuge spider that startled me to death this morning, but it ran away too quickly.

Luckily, living with bugs is a small price to pay for all of the amazing things that are happening around here. Yesterday I ate a mango and it was nothing short of a gustatory journey. ("gustatory[adj.] - of or pertaining to taste or tasting." It was so good that I actually had to Google a word for it.) American mangoes (mangos?) absolutely pale in comparison. I keep having to tell myself that I'm no longer a tourist, that I don't need to eat my weight in mangoes or hummus or whatever just to get my fill before I return to America. It took a lot of self-restraint to not buy everything in the little kibbutz store today. Instead, I bought only what I needed to make cookies for our Garin's Shabbat oneg tomorrow night. But the word "cookies" is kind of pushing it. We have basically nothing in our little kitchen, so I ended up making kind of a loaf of cookie. Picture a loaf of bread, replace the bread with delicious peanut butter chocolate chip cookie, and slice it. Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment