19 November 2012

My Most Important Milestone Yet

I must issue a formal apology for omitting something of vital importance in my last blog post. While in Eilat, I reached a monumental milestone in my journey. This step reflected a promise to myself that I am in this for the long haul. It is proof to me that I will not bail if things get tough, as they are wont to do, and it gave me a physical manifestation of my commitment to fulfilling my dream. 

This milestone was like a wake-up call that this life is my new reality, and that when I picture my future, I can picture it in Israel. And this milestone fits neatly into my wallet. 

While in Eilat, I officially became a member of an Israeli bookstore. 

This may not seem like such a huge step to you; after all, people don't usually celebrate gym memberships or listserve subscriptions or the like. But the shiny, plastic card that has made its home in my wallet is like a trophy. It represents my past, and my fond memories of reading as a child. It represents my present, and my struggle through Harry Potter in Hebrew as I work to fully grasp the language. And it represents my future, as I think of all the Hebrew books I will one day buy with my discounts or accumulated frequent-flyer miles, or whatever this card actually gets me. 

This gloriously green certificate of membership is also a tie to the country. When I was in Greece, for example, I wasn't exactly invested enough to sign up for any elite clubs. But when I filled out that small slip of paper with my name and email address, when I checked off the genre of books that interest me, when I proudly handed over a 20 shekel bill to the woman at the cash register, I was, in essence, signing a contract that binds me to this holy land. When I left America, it was with a heavy heart that I cancelled my Starbucks membership and unsubscribed from Old Navy's mailing list. With an utter lack of loyalties, I felt scared and alone. But in my allegiance to the Steimatzky Book Store, I found solace and a wonderful sense of acceptance. It is a quiet but persistent voice that tells me, I belong! Sure, I haven't yet utilized this proclamation of loyalty, but my future with the book store looks as bright as the glimmer when my new card catches the light of the sun.





P.S. I also must apologize for my complete shamelessness in saying that I really appreciate when you comment on my blog posts, because it makes me feel popular. 

7 comments:

  1. Should I ship all the books in your room??? I'll need a big ship! I love you, sweetie. Stay safe, and be happy!!!

    Love,

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have the option to enroll in bookstore membership and I am very proud that you value such a membership. We truly are the people of the book! Unfortunately, we obviously hardly have that luxury available to us here these days. I am afraid that one day soon a child will ask, "What is a bookstore?" Or, worse yet, "What is a book?" You appear to have a foot in the past and in the future - you want the tangible books AND you have the ability to read them on a little screen. I love that you have always loved to read! xoxo <3 Ims

    ReplyDelete
  3. made me smile...the simple things in life..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would pay to read your blog. There, I said it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! There's nothing better in the world than bookstores!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love books almost as much as I love you!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading your posts. Keep it up!
    Susan Rand-Lakritz

    ReplyDelete